Wednesday, January 23, 2013

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Remember the most important thing when you are engaging with others in this world: Respect.  I would say love, but lots of people have argued with me about being able to love perfect strangers.  Hmmmm, I have argued they are the easiest people to love. But I digress.

Show respect when you choose to argue a point with a twitter or Facebook acquaintance  regardless of whether you think that person's opinion is based on fact or emotion.  And keep in mind there is a person associated with that Bill the Cat avatar.  I ran into a little disrespect the other day (imagine that) and had to walk away from the lappy for a few minutes.  I thought, what the heck does this person think they are accomplishing by being so myopic and rude?  Certainly, they don't imagine I'm walking away from the encounter with anything but a more solid belief in my own opinion, right? *crickets chirping*

That's when I realized that on some level he or she must think something to that effect.  I mean, why else keep at it like a jack hammer?  Pounding your reasoning (or lack thereof) into my thick skull until I am helpless under the onslaught of your forceful diatribe?  Mercy, I beg you.  And when I stop responding, do you think its because I have no more argument?  That it is a wordless concession?  Ummmm, no.  I stop responding when I realize this is not actually a discussion anymore. If it ever was.

Then, as I often do, I turned the situation around and wondered, "Wow! What if *gulp* they are thinking the exact same thing about me?"  Huh.  Wow.  And do I think my opinion is the truth?  Am I that convinced of my omniscience?  Uh, no.  Okay.  I give.  Am I being respectful and open-minded?  And the biggest lesson of all slaps me in the face, ONE- MORE- TIME.  Look to yourself, first.  Pay attention to the beam your eye, Melissa, and stop worrying about the dust speck in someone else's.  

My lessons in humility are endless, aren't they?  Please laugh with me.  heh heh.  um, yeah.

What about you?  Ever race off on some self-righteousness rant and then suddenly find yourself looking in the mirror? 

Please share your experience or post a comment on mine and I will reward you with some random book swag.

Love and light, y'all!  

No comments:

Post a Comment