Sunday, March 09, 2014

Starting My Appalachian Trail Thru Hike OR Learning to Stay Humble

Sixteen years ago today, my husband and I started our Appalachian Trail thru hike--a two thousand mile hike from Georgia to Maine.  It was cold and rainy, then snowed on us that evening.  Turned out, it was a harbinger of things to come.  We spent the first month of our journey cold and wet, and the first night sleeping in a pavilion in a cemetery.

That's where we met our friends, Roy G. Biv and Should-a-Known for the first time, and Should-a-Known was officially dubbed...well...Should-a-Known.

Why?  He was drying his socks over the fire and we all warned him about the synthetic fibers smelting.  He laughed and said, "That's why I've got them on my hands, so I can feel if they get too hot."  A few minutes later we all sniffed the air.

 "Do you smell that?" someone asked.
"Yeah," we all replied.
"Oh shit!" yelled Should-a-Known.  He lifted his hands and there were black scorch marks on his socks.
"Should o' known!" we chorused.

 Ahahahahahhahaha! It still makes me laugh to this day-sixteen years later.  *sigh*  I try to remember this little life lesson whenever I'm getting a little too cocky about anything.  As much as we think we already know, its amazing how the little things trip us up.  You know what I'm talking about, right?  We all have lots to say, plenty of opinions about everything, but we can be obtuse to our own short comings.

What's glaringly obvious to everyone else, we are blind to.  Interesting.

Anyone out there starting a thru hike this year?  Ever dreamed of doing it?

Anyone ever eaten humble pie?  lol! Me too.  At least we didn't get nicknamed for the rest of our lives because of it.  Maybe... ;-)




No comments:

Post a Comment