Monday, April 07, 2014

Recipe of the Week: Chicken and Sweet Pots Stir-Fry

As you may already know, I like to have some one-pan wonders in my recipe box for clean eating.  When I say clean eating, I mean cooking with unprocessed, whole foods.  I may use sauces and flavorings that your strict clean-eaters would never use, but I'm a super busy mom, author, YouTube show host, blogger, yogini, etc. etc. etc.  If I intend to get more than one thing done in a day, I have to find easy, quick ways to feed my family.

My one-pan wonders are fairly balanced with the 3 macro-nutrients:  protein, carbohydrates, and fat.  This one is super simple and I personally love it. And believe it or not, the family likes it, too.  Well, my son can take it or leave it, but he's nine and this one does involve Brussels sprouts.

This is an omnivore dish, but if you're vegan, try substituting tempeh for the chicken and Braggs Liquid Amino Acids for the Worcestershire sauce.  It is super delicious!  I prefer the nuttier flavor of tempeh over tofu, and in this dish, the tempeh will hold its on against the stronger flavors of the Brussels and sweet pots.  Tofu tends to disappear and wimp out against these heavy-weight contenders.

I put the chicken in the crockpot with some Mrs. Dash Chicken seasoning on low in the morning FROZEN.  Seriously, by the time you're ready to dice up the ingredients and stir-fry, the chicken will be perfect.

Here's the list of Ingredients:

1 lb. Skinless, boneless baked chicken breast, diced
12 oz. steamed sweet potatoes, diced
12 oz. steamed, fresh Brussels sprouts, quartered
1-3 tbls. Mrs. Dash Chicken Seasoning
1-3 Tbls. Worcestershire sauce
3 scallions, thinly sliced

The morning of:   place the chicken in the crock pot on low. Sprinkle with Mrs. Dash and add 1/2 cup of water.  30 minutes before you want to serve dinner, remove chicken from crock pot and allow to cool.  Obviously, if you are using tempeh, you can skip this step. ;-)

If the sweet pots are large, quarter them before steaming for 5 minutes in the microwave. Hint: buy the sweet pots in the steam-able bag.  Perfect amount, easy prep.

While sweet pots steam, wash and quarter the Brussels.  Then, steam for 5 minutes in microwave or stove top.

While Brussels are steaming, chop chicken and sweet pots into bite size pieces and slice your scallions.  Heat olive oil in skillet on medium-high and add all ingredients, except chicken.  Add Worcestershire sauce and stir fry until lightly browned.  Add chicken for last couple minutes.

Serve hot and be amazed at how the flavors complement each other.  Seriously good.

Seriously easy clean eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment