Sunday, August 10, 2014

The Crown Chakra OR How to Stop being a No Fun for You Nazi

Sometimes, life gets on our nerves and we turn into the Fun Nazi. You know what I'm talking about? As in "No Fun For You"? From the telemarketer phone calls during dinner to the latest jabberwocky rants going around Facebook, there are a zillion things to get our knickers in a twist. When I allow myself to get caught up in these swirling vortices of negativity, it's hard to break the suction and I end up spreading the nastiness.

For example, angry debate is the norm in our culture, but lately the Israeli/Hamas and Amazon/Hatchette ones have flooded my news feed. I've had to step back and step away because my frustration over these issues has affected my peace of mind. I'm snippier than usual and easily irritated, like when my kids started rough housing the other night. They were giggling, shrieking, and chasing each other around, wrestling on the couch. Basically, they were having fun. My reaction?

"Will you two knock it off?! I can't hear myself think! Something is going to get broken or someone is going to get hurt! Get away from each other."

Translation?

"Will you stop having fun with each other?!? Go sit in your rooms and be lonely! No fun for you!"

Bwahahahahahahaha! I can laugh about it because that's exactly what I ended up saying to the kids next. I heard my own words and couldn't believe my over the top reaction. Trust me, I was yelling and it wasn't pretty. Well, we all burst out laughing and in a much gentler tone and lighter heart I informed my progeny that they needed to either take the wrestling match outside or tone it down some.

Don't get me wrong; as a parent, I know there are days when the kids are out of control and they need to be separated, but this wasn't one of them.  I was in a negative place and spewed the caustic slime I'd let build up inside all over my kids.

Ewwwww.

In energetic terms, my Crown chakra is probably out of balance. How do I know? Because some of the symptoms of an unbalanced crown chakra are frustration, irritability, and a disconnection from others. That's just a few. Do a search on Google and you'll find everything under the sun can be blamed on an unbalanced Crown chakra, but there's a reason for that.

The Crown chakra, a.k.a. Sahasrara, is our source of spiritual connection with all things.  It rules our central nervous system, and let's face it, that's everything. It's our perception of ourselves, of the world, others, the Divine, you name it.

Mental disorders such as psychosis and schizophrenia are supposed to be a result of a wonky crown chakra. Think about in terms of "breaking with reality" and you'll see how it fits. Other dis-eases traditionally thought of as mental disorders such as manic-depression, anxiety, and depression are considered Crown chakra imbalances and there is a school of thought that says depression is too much living in the past and anxiety is too much living in the future.

So what do I do about this? Here are some ideas for balancing the Crown chakra:

1. Sit in silence.

I recommend an hour per day, but most people give me the "you're a nutty fruitcake" look when I say that, so try 5 minutes to start. And I mean no radio, television, iPod, etc. It's okay to have street noises and the air conditioner hum. Don't try to create a sensory deprivation chamber. Just...sit in silence. That's it. If you want to know more about it, Claudia Altucher did an amazing job explaining why and how in the book The Power of No she collaborated on with her husband James Altucher

So, why does this help balance the Crown chakra? My instincts tell me it's because the Crown chakra is about letting go of the mundane so that we can open up to the spiritual. And sitting in silence, well, helps us to let go in general. It's also great for depression.

2. Declutter

Take 5 minutes out of your day and pick up, put away, giveaway, and throw away. Don't try to "fix" the whole house or office at once. Start creating a daily habit of decluttering your environment.  How does this help? Letting go. Clearing space. All those magazines and receipts and stray socks are distracting whether we acknowledge it or not. Let go of some physical clutter, and it will clear some space in your head.

3. Disconnect from the virtual world and connect with the natural world.

What I mean is silence the cell phone, shut down the laptop, and turn off the television. When the anxiety attack fades, turn to your significant other and have a conversation. Go out in the backyard with your child or take your dog for a walk. Make a cup of tea and watch the squirrels tear your bird feeder apart.

I like to sit on my back deck with a glass of water and watch my own personal version of Wild Kingdom. Any time of day or night, there is a show in progress. One night there was a kerfuffle in the backyard (keep in mind we live a tenth of mile into the woods and are surrounded by tulip poplars and oaks). My hubs ran out on the deck with a spot light and there were a dozen rabbits zipping around like, well, mad hatters.

Then we heard this whisper of wings that we wouldn't have heard at all if they weren't gliding through branches and leaves. The bunnies froze! I mean all at once as if they were playing a game of freeze tag and someone had given the signal. And this owl dived! Next thing, the rabbits scattered in all directions and the owl gave loud chase. Amazing! My heart was thumping. Brilliant.

What were we talking about? Ah, yes. *shakes self* Okay, so how does this help balance the Crown chakra? It helps us to connect with the bigger picture and stop getting mired in the illusion of life we've created. The virtual world is fabulous; please don't get me wrong. I'm writing this for the web from my yurt and here you are reading it from where ever you are. Brilliant!

But we need to make sure we're not lost in the illusions. We need to come up for air and connect with what's real and where we've come from. We like to talk about  being the stewards of nature, but really, we are not above it. We are of it. And we need to dig our toes in the dirt or sand or wiggle them in water once in a while.

You can also wear amethyst jewelry, eat purple foods, and spend some time in meditation to help bring your Crown chakra into balance. There are a ton of ideas out there and I've gathered a few on my Pinterest board, Crown Chakra. I'm always updating and adding so feel free to follow my boards. I have a board for each chakra and a general board for Chakra information, too.

So, I've been spending some time today in silence and plan to continue that practice, as well as disconnect from the virtual world on a regular basis. The decluttering is an ongoing project around here.  Maybe I'll do something with blueberries for dessert tonight.

I'm working on not letting the things in the news and the unkind diatribes on Facebook get to me, but I'm only human and I care about the pain and suffering going on in the world. While there's not a lot I can do about most of these issues, I look for small ways to spread some love and light. That's another good thing to do for the Crown chakra, by the way. Give. Shine your beautiful light. Spread the love.

Be positive. Like when you catch yourself sniping at the kids, let them know you know and make light of it. Stop ranting and start laughing, preferably with someone you love.

Oh, and have some fun!

Recognize any of the things going on with you in this post? Tell me about it. I love hearing from you. Share this post if it spoke to you and tag me. I'd love to connect with you.

Have a beautiful day, my friends.

Namaste

4 comments:

  1. I've never tried sitting in silence for an hour, but I do it in little spurts. Love it, and love the Altuchers. They're my heroes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try an hour sometime. It's amazing. And I live the Altuchers! Have you listened to James' podcast?

      Delete
  2. An wonderful and informative post! I've got it. I was actually searching for this topic how to open your chakras . Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you found something helpful in this post. Namaste

    ReplyDelete