Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Recipe of the Week: My Alternative Universe version of Quinoa-Cranberry Chicken Salad

I love finding healthy, yummy recipes and tweaking them. I know what I like. I have cooking
routines that save me work and the temptation of grabbing unhealthy foods, and I like working new recipes into that routine. It's better to make recipes fit into my lifestyle, rather than making everyone miserable by trying to alter my cooking habits. *clears throat* Enough said about that. I'm perfectly aware I have issues. Moving on...

Hence, my Alternate Universe Quinoa-Cranberry Salad. I found the recipe listed in a clean eating detox post my friend Liz Schulte shared with me.

Here's the link to the original Quinoa-Cranberry Chicken Salad recipe by Jenessa's Dinners.

Here's the deal. I slow cook a couple pounds of chicken breast every Sunday so I have instant gratification protein in the fridge. Seriously. When I get back from a weight training session, I'm liable to inhale the refrigerator if I don't have that chicken handy. So, instead of grilling the chicken in this recipe, I used the slow cooked chicken I already had in the fridge. Makes life so much easier around here.

I also keep packets of seasoned quinoa on hand for quick meals, too. Sooooo, instead of scouring the local grocery stores for red quinoa, as the recipe calls for, I used the Sesame Ginger quinoa I had on hand. Easy peasy, no stress for momma.

The rest of the ingredients were things I keep on hand anywhoooo so that was even easier. Here's how it all worked out in my alternate universe that is Melissa's World.





Ingredients:

2 large chicken breasts, slow cooked in crockpot (seasoned any way you like. I use Mrs. Dash Chicken Seasoning)
1/2 cup chopped scallions
2 tbls. olive oil
3 tbls. balsamic vinegar
1 tbls. lemon juice
1 drop doTERRA Lemon essential oil
1 package Roland's Quinoa - Toasted Sesame Ginger flavor, prepared and cooled
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/8 cup slivered almonds
Salt and pepper to taste

You'll notice that I changed some of the amounts from the original. That's a personal preference thing AND to make this recipe fit my macronutrient requirements.

Instructions:

Prepare quinoa according to package directions. Set aside to cool. Chop chicken into 1 inch cubes. Chop scallions.



Mix olive oil, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, Lemon essential oil, and salt and pepper. Whisk to blend, then add scallions and stir.



When quinoa is cooled, mix all ingredients.

That's it! Ta da! Yummmmmmmm....

If you give this recipe a try, let me know how it turned out and what personal tweaks you gave it.

Much love and light to everyone. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment