Monday, December 29, 2014

Recipe of the Week: Black Bean and Corn Salad

It's the holiday season and time for holiday parties. I admit, I get a little anxious about attending all these food and wine fests. I love food. I love wine. I am not made of steel!

Between all the cheese plates and warm crab dip, not to mention the bacon-wrapped everything, I falter on my healthy eating lifestyle commitment.

So, I have learned to come armed with my own healthy but incredibly tasty defensive lineup. And trust me, I wouldn't DARE bring some tasteless "healthy" substitute for all that yummy stuff my friends prepare.

My friends are foodies. My friends make the best yummy stuff ever.

First off, if what I bring to the party doesn't taste good, I won't eat it. Period. And no way in hell would I bring something bland or nasty for my friends. That would be embarrassing. Enough said.

So, my Black Bean and Corn salad is not only incredibly healthy for you, it tastes AMAZING, too! Yes, I said AMAZING. I have several variations on this recipe, but this is the basic. You can use all canned ingredients or frozen or fresh. Whatever suits you. Feel free to add other veggies like diced bell pepper, zucchini, etc. It just adds to the party in your mouth.

Only, the beans and corn should be cooked or you may break a tooth or create some gastric distress. *clears throat* That might seem obvious, but just in case...

Anywhoooo....here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
1 can black beans (or 15 oz. frozen black beans, thawed)
1 cup frozen corn (thawed) I like to use the roasted kind for a little added yum.
1 cup diced tomatoes (either fresh or canned) In season, fresh tomatoes are the best.
3/4 cup Jack's Special Salsa, Medium (Or salsa of your choice, but Jack's is the BOMB)
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1-2 drops doTerra Lime Essential oil (alternately you can use fresh lime juice)

Combine all ingredients and let rest in the refrigerator for at least two hours to let the flavors blend.

Serve with tortilla chips.

That is IT! Soooo easy and incredibly flavorful. With this bad boy by my side, I can actually say no to most of the greasy, fried, and otherwise gut-busting party fair.

*For my WeightWatchers pals, 1 cup of this super filling salad is 3 PointsPlus value. Can I get a hallelujah?

I love hearing from y'all, so let me know if you tried this recipe and how it worked out for you. Did you add anything? Subtract anything? Find an interesting use for this recipe besides as a simple dip?


No comments:

Post a Comment