Saturday, January 03, 2015

Tarot Tip #1: Keeping it Clean

For years I have been playing with the Tarot cards. I have several decks and I love to drag them along on conferences, vacations, weekend get aways, etc. While I have been reading the tarot for over a decade, I'm embarrassed to say I still have to use references to sort out some of the card meanings. *hides under the desk*

So this year I've committed myself to taking my Tarot knowledge and reading skills to the next level. I've signed up for an online course that claims it will take me there and I'm seriously jazzed about it. Why? Well, why not? I've loved the Tarot and been fascinated with it for as long as I can remember.

I have these cloudy memories of my mom shuffling the cards when I was quite small, and I took that same deck of cards with me to college. The feel of the glossy card-stock, the intricate and even stylized images of some decks intrigue me. The symbolism shakes something awake in me. Maybe it's the universal archetypes tapping me on the mental and emotional shoulders.

Maybe it's the mysticism, the occult, the magic...the ooooOOOooooo factor.

Whatever it is, it calls to me and I've started my old practice of a daily reading and Tarot journaling. And because it's been a few weeks since I've played with my decks, I decided they needed a good energetic cleansing.

Cleansing or clearing the energy of your deck keeps your readings imbued with positive energy and dissipates any negativity that may be clinging to the cards. It's also a great little ritual to help you create and maintain a connection with the deck.

There are many ways to cleanse a Tarot deck, but here is my favorite:

1) Sort your deck in order. Start with the Major arcana, then the suits. This also gives you a chance to see if any cards are missing. You don't want to do a reading without a full deck. ;-)

2) Once sorted, shuffle the deck seven times. There are many dos and don'ts out there about how to shuffle a Tarot deck, but I suggest you go with whatever shuffling method works best for you.

3) Once shuffled, smudge the deck with sage. Don't know what I mean by "smudge"? Burn some sage, sweet grass, or rosemary and pass the deck through the smoke. You can buy smudge sticks all over the web or any dried sage or rosemary will do.

That's it! Any questions or concerns? Leave them in the comments. I love hearing from y'all so comment away.

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment