Sunday, April 19, 2015

I Don't Have Magical Self-Control OR Poizin Tastes Good

I was recently chatting with a friend online about my so-called self-control when it comes to eating and exercising. Can I be blunt? I don't have this magical self-control everyone speaks of. I eat pizza, cookies, cupcakes, and cheese. I drink wine, sometimes soda, beer, hard cider, and occasionally, yes, a milkshake. Why? Because Poizin tastes gooooood. *I hear that in Pulp Fiction's Vincent Vega's voice*

What I do have is years of practice choosing healthier options most of the time. I am not currently a member of any of the various fitness cults factions (unless you count Weight Watchers), but I have dabbled in most of their philosophies. What I have come to understand is that every step of my journey toward living healthy, and yes, feeling good, has added up and continues to do so, even if some of those steps were in the WRONG direction.

I made some mistakes along the way--hell, I still make A LOT of mistakes, but I keep picking myself back up and marching on. As my husband likes to say, "It's march or die." Quite literally. I could continue unhealthy practices and eventually face high cholesterol, high blood pressure, digestive problems, and maybe even diabetes. It WILL happen if I choose pizza and soda more often than I choose grilled salmon and veggies.

I can't stress this enough: THERE IS NO MAGIC PILL, METHOD, OR POWER FOOD!

You know what there is? DAILY PRACTICE at making better choices.

There's lots of advice out there about how to do that, as well as lose weight, get in shape, feel better, be happier, etc. etc. etc. It's all so incredibly confusing and overwhelming, isn't it? My advice? Pick something and get started. It's a long ass journey but you have to take that first step.

The hard truth? You're going to "fall off the wagon" over and over. You're going to "give up", throw up your hands, and eat an entire pizza by yourself. Yep. Been there, done that, cleaned up the puke.

Then you stagger to your proverbial feet, or literal, and START OVER.

What you have to get used to doing is picking yourself up after overdosing on cookies and beer and start anew every damn day, hour, minute, and second. And you're going to have to keep trying something different until you figure out what works for YOU, create your own "program", so to speak.

Another hard truth? When you get it "figured" out, the game changes.

Your health, your wellness, your happiness is a constant moving target. It's dynamic, ever changing and you have to learn to ride the waves.

It's hard. Its sometimes grueling. It sometimes pisses me off. Seriously, going to the gym some mornings is the last thing I want to do.

But when I get a few days behind me of working out, eating healthy, and managing my stress, I feel so good! Then, *long exasperated sigh* I inevitably choose to eat fried and breaded something or other and slip down the slope of indulgence, suffering the inevitable consequence of feeling like crap.

I'm just like everyone else in that regard. The only difference between me and my friend who wishes he had "my self-control"?

THIS----->>>>As soon as I realize what I've done, I get back to working out, eating healthy, and managing my stress IMMEDIATELY.  These days, I even manage to do it without too much self-recrimination. Holy hell! That's a serious miracle. And it only took me 30 years.

Know what else? I don't wait for Monday for a "fresh" start; I don't even wait for tomorrow. I get a glass of water the very minute I realize what I've been doing and go for a walk or stretch. Bam. Back on track IMMEDIATELY.

REPEAT ad infinitum.

Some of you may be thinking, well what the hell's the point? If it's always a struggle, why bother?

Because the struggle works, and well, I'm worth it.

And so are YOU.

Much love and light, my friends.

2 comments:

  1. Melissa the Wise,

    Great article. Well written. And so true!
    You hit the freaking nail right smack dead on the head! Heh-heh :D

    Kudos to you for continuing to "Keep On Keeping On!" :o)

    I wish you continued wisdom, success, and happiness.

    Peace & health,
    Mgon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mgon. I love sharing the struggle because I hope it helps someone

    ReplyDelete