Saturday, March 05, 2016

As You Were - Installment 1

 As a writer, I am incredibly harsh on myself. Nothing would ever be good enough to share if I didn't have this crazy desire for someone to actually read my ramblings. I write a lot of things that never see the light of day. I have various projects in various stages tucked away on my computer at any one time. The books I've published are, at the time of publishing, the best I have to offer, at least in my humble opinion. The rest? Rubbish, or at least self-indulgent.

But I've decided to share one such story I've been working on. It's unedited (that in itself is giving me a heart attack) and unproofed. 

You have been thoroughly warned. 
If you are squeamish about colorful language, don't like sex scenes, and honest dialogue makes your hair curl, walk away now. Do not read this.

I'll be posting installments every day until the end. I don't know how many days that will be because I am still writing this story. You can read it or not, share it or not, like it or not.  It's up to you. Unlike me, you have a choice. I can't not write it.

Namaste.

As You Were
Copyright © 2013 by Melissa Lummis

Without limiting the rights under copyright reserved above, no part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in or introduced into a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form, or by any means (electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise) without the prior written permission of the above author of this book.

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places, brands, media, and incidents are either the product of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously. The author acknowledges the trademarked status and trademark owners of various products referenced in this work of fiction, which have been used without permission. The publication/use of these trademarks is not authorized, associated with, or sponsored by the trademark owners.



Chapter 1

I stared at the fireworks display, but I wasn’t really seeing it.  I was more aware of the booms echoing off the water and the sweat dripping a ticklish line between my cleavage.  Leaning back on my hands in the sand, I wondered why I felt so annoyed with it all. The blue sparkles raining down in arching lines blurred and doubled, until they melded with their reflection in the ocean and fizzled out.  I wished that the show could enchant me like it had when I was a child. 

Maybe the sweaty nights and blistering hot days this week were to blame.  I longed for some relief, not only from the heat, but from the odd tension between me and my old college crew.  When Sylvia called me about this trip, it had seemed like the perfect escape from my hometown summer.  After four years away at college and another three working in D.C., my family and friends had forgotten me.  My family kept me at arm’s length and old friends were wrapped up in whatever semblance of a life they’d built.  My crime had been leaving town, as far as I could figure. 

Grant it, I’d been mostly gone for seven years, but not without good reason. I had earned my marketing degree, procured the requisite job, and met my fiancĂ© all in that time.  I guess coming home to get my bearings after I called off the engagement was seen as some sort of insult.  From the way my friends acted, I’d only come home by default.  And when Sylvia insisted I needed this beach vacation, I didn’t argue.

I sighed as I licked salty sweat from my upper lip and shifted forward, hunching my shoulders as I dug my fingers into the sand.  Sylvia glanced over at me with a grin before taking a swig off the honey whiskey bottle.  She handed the booze wrapped in a paper bag to me and I tipped it to my lips.  It burned in a good way over my tongue, all the way down my throat.  I took a longer pull, closing my eyes as I quietly burped up the hot sweetness. 

Drinking away my unease had been working fairly well so far, but I was starting to pay the price.  Although, the hair-of-the-dog tactic had kept the mother-of-all hangovers at bay, so why stop now?  I passed the bottle to Meredith on my right and leaned back on my hands, appreciating the warm tingles and resulting shiver.  Something slimy and wet slid down the back of my shorts between my cheeks. With an angry jerk, I twisted around to Chuck smirking at me.

He sucked his finger in an obscene way and I rolled my eyes, sticking out my tongue as I tugged at my shorts.  Mature, I know.  Shithead thought he was it-on-a-stick and that I was his next conquest.  Returning the gesture, he wiggled his tongue as if demonstrating what he’d like to do to me. Give me a fucking break.  I scrambled to my feet with the crowd as the finale burst over us in a sizzle of exploding red, white and blue. 

Chuck rubbed my shoulders and I smacked his hands away.  I brushed the sand from my backside and legs, wondering why he’d ever been a part of our inner circle.  He had always been an asshole, and apparently had never recovered from his affliction.  When I straightened, he was so close behind me, all doubt—if there ever was any—as to whether he had a hard on for me was laid to rest.
“Come on, babe.  Let’s take a walk.”  His hot breath on my ear did not do a thing for me.

I shoved him with all my rage and squirmed through the oooohing crowd towards the boardwalk, not bothering to look back to see his fate.  I was going to need a Rum Runner or two to douse the sputter in my head, and I knew where the best ones on the boards were served.  Calves aching with the effort, I pushed through the crowd and sand, making a beeline for the closest stairs up to the boardwalk.

“What’s your problem?” Chuck yelled after me.

“Seriously?!” I screamed over my shoulder.

The creep wasn’t even supposed to be here.  He showed up with one of his side-kicks two days ago.  I suspected Meredith had texted him where we were, but she wasn’t about to admit it.  I frowned with my hands on my hips as I stood on the steps leading to the crowded boardwalk, studying the store and bar placards above the mass of heads, getting my bearings.  I knew where I wanted to be and here was not it.

But which way to the Brass Balls? 

No comments:

Post a Comment